Name:
Location: London

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My class and gender affect my life in certain ways. The place where my gender plays the most crucial role is in my house. I am treated differently than my brother because I am a girl. There are more restrictions placed upon me than on my brother. For example, I am not allowed to hang out at night. My brother, on the other hand, is free to drive anyplace he chooses so long as he is home within a reasonable hour. Furthermore, my parents have different expectations from my brother. If he receives mediocre grades in school, that's fine. But the minute my grades slip to the average range, my parents become concerned. They think that as long as my brother knows what's going on, he doesn't need the grades to prove it. Another way we differ is in our familial "roles". While I clear the dinner dishes on Friday night, my brother should be reading torah. My situation is analogous to the character is The Taming of the Shrew. Just as I as a female am expected to be home more often than my brother and my freedoms are more limited, so to Baptista restricts his daughters to inside his house frequently and gives them orders they are supposed to follow. The male characters in Taming of the Shrew, on the other hand, are independent, free to do what they like, when they like. Both my father and Baptista of Italy are overprotective of their priceless daughters. I'm sure that if Baptista had a son, he wouldn't pressure him half as much as he did his daughters to attract a suitor and get married.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home