Name:
Location: London

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Given the choice whether I can associate more with Petruchio or Katherine in Act IV Scene 1 of Taming of the Shrew, I'd say I can identify with Petruchio. He "tames" his previously defiant and free-spirited wife by starving her, preventing her from sleeping, and generally causing difficulties for her to act the way she would have if she was given her way. Similarly, I attempted to train my little sister Kaden not to misbehave. When Kaden was two years old she liked to throw toys all over the place carelessly, so that sometimes they landed on people's heads which hurt to some degree. I was able to tolerate the mess, because I am aware of the fact that little kids are prone to make messes by way of having fun. But when the toys hit me in the face and she didn't even care to stop chucking things everywhere, I took action. First I told her to stop, and when she didn't listen, I threatened her with "time-out". When she again did not obey, I took her to the corner of the den and told her sternly that she would stay there until she behaved nicely (obviously, I spoke in terms a two-year old could understand). When she screamed and cried in time-out, I resisted the urge to scoop her up and hug her, because if I did that, she'd never learn her lesson. So I kept telling her that if she played nicely with the toys I'd let he go. Eventually, she stopped fighting with me and asked if she could play with her toys in a very sweet tone of voice. So I let he play, reminding her not to throw the toys or she'd wind up in time-out again. She must've taken this warning to heart, for she didn't throw her toys at anyone anymore. My story with Kaden is comparable with Petruchio's dealings with Katherine, because both Petruchio and I attempted to "tame" the other person by some sort of punishment. Fortunately, both stories ended successfully. But one important difference between Petruchio and I, is that he enjoyed taming Katherine and getting her to succumb to his will, while I was simply trying to teach Kaden an important life lesson that it's not nice to hurt people. For this reason I cannot fully identify with Petruchio's character in Act IV (but I can assosiate with him more than I can with Kate.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home