Name:
Location: London

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Poor Mr. Lopez. That unfortunate physician just got sent to his shameful death while a mass of townspeople looked on eagerly. Now, if a criminal was receiving justice for some heinous act of violence, I'm all for his hanging. But Roderigo Lopez, the Queen's loyal doctor, was a different case. His so-called "trial" (a misnomer if you ask me) was no trial at all once his arch-nemesis Earl of Essex came to the stand;rather, it was merely a chance for the accused to receive one final blow at his reputation. Really, how the man kept his composure is beyond me. Especially considering the reaction he got from the public when he spoke the last words of his innocent life, with all the sincerity a man possesses moments before his death. "I loved the Queen as much as I do Jesus!" Lopez cried out, for he allegedly plotted the Queen's death by poisoning in cahoots with much-hated Catholic King of Spain. This utterance of desperate truth was met with (I regretfully recount), laughter on behalf of the bloodthirsty public. The once-respected man was reduced to a mere mockery. Not a soul took his words seriously, as Lopez was born a Jew and his conversion was never considered sincere. Thanks to Marlowe's dreadfully anti-Semitic play "The Jew of Malta" and Essex' persistent testimony, the public believed Lopez to be a villainous, traitorous Jew. One may ask how I am so certain of my controversial convictions. I simply reply that having previously lived in a land where Jews are common citizens, I know they are not an evil people like England makes them out to be. In fact, Jews are among the most dutiful and forthright people I know (or at least, used to know). Aside from the fact that I'd firmly believe Lopez' innocence had he been a practicing Jew, pure logic is all that is needed to assert the man's innocence. The Earl, being the anti-Semite anti-Catholic he is, concocted this story of Lopez and the King of Spain for his own personal satisfaction. Moreover, Essex resented Lopez ever since the virtuous man disclosed the Earl's sly plan to the Queen, which was to recruit Lopez as a member of Essex' own powerful gang. One must possess only an untainted mind to see through the lies and framing to realize the truth staring him in the face. Which, I concede, is almost (if not completely) an impossibility in Jew-hating England.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home