Name:
Location: London

Monday, September 25, 2006

I can no longer tolerate my overprotective father. I know he means well and only wants to do good by me, but he goes about it entirely wrong. Does he honestly believe I wish to be treated like a young, immature child, retreating inside the house for security the moment my older sister acts rudely? I can handle her, even if she does smack me occasionally. I only wish I could prove that I am not the goody-good girl everybody thinks I am. I live under the guise of a quiet, obedient, tame lady. Well, that is a total deception. My father expects me to get married the minute Katherine has a man to call her own, for I have many suitors vying for my hand. Katherine, on the other hand, is often called a shrew behind her back (I know this because I don't always retire into the house like I'm told). No man wishes to wed an outspoken, disobedient, rash, insensitive person. Hence Katherine remains unmarried, while I must bide my time till it is my turn. I am not a 'feminist' by the definition of the extreme word, but I do admire Katherine for standing up to men so, and demanding that she have the same rights as any other male in Italy. Yet, as much as I secretly look up to Katherine, I maintain my "good girl" image. I am aware that I am not being true to myself, but I have no choice. I lack the courage Katherine seems to possess in abundance to defy my father, never mind my suitors, just as my sister does. I suppose I will eventually marry and be the loyal perfect wife everyone expects me to be, for I am almost positive that Katherine's dowry is enough to tempt some man to take her as his wife. And when that happens, Katherine will be forced to marry, as will I soon thereafter. But the difference is, she will oppose her wedlock openly, while I only in a clandestine manner, so no one shall know what I truly believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home